Top News

Apple Orders Ronald D. Moore Space Drama Series

Apple Orders Ronald D. Moore Space Drama Series
Exclusive: Ronald D. Moore is heading back to space. Apple has given a straight-to-series order to a space drama from the Battlestar Galactica developer. The untitled project hails from Sony Pictures Television and Moore's studio-based Tall Ship Productions. Created and written by Moore, along with Fargo co-executive producers Matt Wolpert and Ben Nedivi, the untitled series explores what would have happened if the global space race had never ended. Tall Ship Prods…
See full article at Deadline TV »

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Storms to Second-Biggest Thursday Preview Ever With $45 Million

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Storms to Second-Biggest Thursday Preview Ever With $45 Million
The Force remains unstoppable as Disney-Lucasfilm’s “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” opened with $45 million on Thursday night.

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” set a record for the second-largest Thursday night preview gross in North America, trailing only “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” which earned $57 million two years ago. “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2” had been the second-highest with $43 million. “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” opened a year ago to $29 million at Thursday night previews.

Previews began Thursday at 6 p.m. in North America — about 12 hours after Disney announced it was spending $52.4 billion to acquire 21st Century Fox assets. On Friday, the film launches at 4,232 theaters in the U.S./Canada, including nearly 410 Imax screens, 640 premium large format, 3,600 3D locations, and 212 D-Box locations.

Early surveys of audience reactions Thursday night by comScore’s PostTrack found that 68% rated “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” as “excellent” and another 21% as “very good.” A
See full article at Variety - Film News »

ABC’s ‘Roseanne’ Reboot Sets Spring Premiere Date

  • The Wrap
ABC’s ‘Roseanne’ Reboot Sets Spring Premiere Date
ABC’s improbable full-cast revival of “Roseanne” is real, and now it has a premiere date. Fans of the show can find out just how the heck Dan Connors is still alive when the nine-episode 10th season debuts with a special hour-long episode on Tuesday, March 27 at 8 p.m. The full cast from the show’s original run is returning for the new go-round, including Roseanne Barr, John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Sara Gilbert, Michael Fishman, and both Beckys — Lecy Goranson, who originated the character and will play her in the revival, and Sarah Chalke, who will play a new character.
See full article at The Wrap »

‘Florida Project’ Producer Steps Down Amid Harassment Claims

‘Florida Project’ Producer Steps Down Amid Harassment Claims
Andrew Duncan, the producer of awards contender “The Florida Project,” is stepping down from his indie production company amid allegations of sexual harassment.

Duncan launched June Pictures a year ago, and has produced a handful of independent films including “Operator” with Martin Starr, and “Thoroughbred,” a breakout film at the Sundance Film Festival. In a statement, CEO Alex Saks said she has solidified plans to buy out Duncan’s stake in the company.

“In light of allegations of misconduct against our investor Andrew Duncan, I am assuming sole ownership and leadership of June Pictures,” Saks said. “June Pictures is committed to a respectful work environment dedicated to producing quality films. We will continue our projects already in production and development.”

Rumors of Duncan’s alleged sexual misconduct have been circulating for the last couple of weeks. The ouster poses a potential problem for “The Florida Project,” a portrayal of children living in poverty from director Sean Baker (“[link
See full article at Variety - Film News »

Oscars Foreign Language Shortlist Includes ‘The Square,’ ‘A Fantastic Woman’

Oscars Foreign Language Shortlist Includes ‘The Square,’ ‘A Fantastic Woman’
Sweden’s “The Square,” Russia’s “Loveless” and Chile’s “A Fantastic Woman” are among the nine films that will advance in the Oscars race for Best Foreign Language Film, the Academy announced on Wednesday. The other films that made the list come from Germany (“In the Fade,” starring Diane Kruger), Hungary (“On Body and Soul”), Israel (“Foxtrot”), Lebanon (“The Insult”), Senegal (“Félicité”) and South Africa (“The Wound”). Angelina Jolie’s Cambodian-language film “First They Killed My Father” did not advance in the race, and neither did the critically acclaimed “Bpm (Beats Per Minute)” by Robin Campillo. Also Read: 'In
See full article at The Wrap »

‘It’ Director Andy Muschietti Eyed for ‘Electric State’ From Russo Brothers

‘It’ Director Andy Muschietti Eyed for ‘Electric State’ From Russo Brothers
It” director Andy Muschietti is in talks with Russo Brothers Studio to board a movie version of Simon Stalenhag’s illustrated novel “The Electric State.”

The story, set in an alternative 1997, centers on a runaway teenager and her yellow toy robot as they travel through a strange USA, where the ruins of gigantic battle drones litter the countryside heaped together with the discarded trash of a high tech consumerist society in decline. As their car approaches the edge of the continent, the world outside the window seems to be unraveling ever faster as if somewhere beyond the horizon, the hollow core of civilization has finally caved in.

Muscietti, who’s attached to direct “It: Chapter 2,” would direct and produce “Electric State” with sister Barbara Muschietti and Rbs principals Joe and Anthony Russo, should the deal go through. Russell Ackerman and John Schoenfelder are also in talks to produce. Julian Angelin of The Salomonsson Agency and Simon Stålenhag will executive
See full article at Variety - Film News »

Mario Batali Out at ‘The Chew’ After Review of Sexual Misconduct Accusations Against Him

  • The Wrap
Mario Batali Out at ‘The Chew’ After Review of Sexual Misconduct Accusations Against Him
It’s official — Mario Batali no longer has a place at the table on “The Chew.”

An ABC spokesperson told TheWrap on Thursday that the celebrity chef after a review of the allegations made against him. “Upon completing its review into the allegations made against Mario Batali, ABC has terminated its relationship with him and he will no longer appear on ‘The Chew,'” the spokesperson said.

“While we remain unaware of any type of inappropriate behavior involving him and anyone affiliated with our show, ABC takes matters like this very seriously.
See full article at The Wrap »

Dustin Hoffman Accused of Exposing Himself to a Minor, Assaulting Two Women (Exclusive)

Dustin Hoffman Accused of Exposing Himself to a Minor, Assaulting Two Women (Exclusive)
Cori Thomas was in high school when she says Dustin Hoffman exposed himself to her in a hotel room. Melissa Kester was a recent college graduate when Hoffman allegedly sexually assaulted her while recording audio for the film “Ishtar.” A third woman, who asked to remain anonymous, said that Hoffman assaulted her in the back of a station wagon and manipulated her into a subsequent sexual encounter that left her traumatized.

Speaking to Variety, the women described predatory incidents involving Hoffman that fit into a pattern of alleged behavior that has emerged in the wake of previous sexual-misconduct claims against the now 80-year-old actor.

Representatives for Hoffman did not make him available to provide comment for this story. In a letter to Variety’s owner Penske Media Corp., Hoffman’s attorney Mark A. Neubauer of Carlton Fields Jordan Burt called the accusations against the actor “defamatory falsehoods.”

Thomas was 16 years old and a high-school classmate of Hoffman
See full article at Variety - Film News »

'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Sets Sights on Becoming the Latest $200M+ Opener

'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Sets Sights on Becoming the Latest $200M+ Opener
After a strong performance last month, the December box office is currently pacing ahead of 2016 by 3% while the overall year is still pacing just a bit behind 2016, currently by 4.2%. However, now comes what will surely be the highest grossing domestic release of the year, Star Wars: The Last Jedi. The latest film in the Star Wars franchise is looking to become only the fourth domestic release to ever open over $200 million, sure to assist in closing the year-to-year gap even further. Meanwhile, Fox has chosen to once again offer some counter-programming with the animated release Ferdinand. Two years ago they tried a similar tactic when they debuted the fourth installment of the Alvin and the Chipmunks franchise against Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Much like 2015, we're anticipating similar results. When forecasting the opening weekend for Star Wars: The Force Awakens back in 2015 it was a rather monumental task as no
See full article at Box Office Mojo »

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Rockets to $60.8 Million in Early International Openings

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Rockets to $60.8 Million in Early International Openings
Star Wars: The Last Jedi” has launched internationally with a powerful $60.8 million in 48 markets in its first two days.

The Disney-Lucasfilm tentpole began its international run on Dec 13 in 14 markets, followed by an additional 34 territories on Dec. 14, opening in first place in all except for Turkey and South Korea.

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” generated the second-largest debut day of all time in Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Finland, Netherlands, Sweden, and Iceland — behind only 2015’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” in each case. The movie was the third-biggest opening day for the U.K. and Norway.

It was also the top 2017 opening day in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, and the U.K.Disney said “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” is 63% ahead of last year’s spinoff, “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” and 25% behind “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” in international markets so far.

Along with the U.
See full article at Variety - Film News »

Martin Ransohoff, Filmways Founder and ‘Cincinnati Kid’ Producer, Dies at 90

Martin Ransohoff, Filmways Founder and ‘Cincinnati Kid’ Producer, Dies at 90
Martin Ransohoff, who produced notable films of the 1960s and ’70s such as “The Cincinnati Kid” and “Save the Tiger” and co-founded Filmways Television, died Wednesday at his home in Bel-Air,Calif. He was 90.

Filmways produced some of the biggest TV hits of the 1960s including “The Beverly Hillbillies,” “The Addams Family,” “Petticoat Junction,” “Green Acres” and “The Hollywood Squares.”

Ransohoff later entered the movie business along with Filmways’ executive John Calley. Their first film was 1962’s “Boys’ Night Out,” followed by 1963’s “The Wheeler Dealers.” He also was behind the 1965 New Orleans-set drama, “The Cincinnati Kid,” which starred Steve McQueen, Edward G. Robinson, Ann-Margret, and Karl Malden. Ransohoff famously fired Sam Peckinpah from the film, feeling his vision was too dark, and hired Norman Jewison to direct.

He exited the company in 1972 to become an independent film producer.

Among his producing credits were Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton’s “The Sandpiper,” Tony Richardson
See full article at Variety - Film News »

Morgan Spurlock Steps Down From His Production Company After Sexual Misconduct Admission

  • The Wrap
Morgan Spurlock Steps Down From His Production Company After Sexual Misconduct Admission
Morgan Spurlock has stepped down from the production company that he co-founded after admitting that he had once been accused of rape and had been guilty of sexual misconduct in the past.

In a statement issued Thursday, Warrior Poets partners Jeremy Chilnick and Matthew Galkin said, “On behalf of Warrior Poets, we as partners have always supported our company and its endeavors. As of today, Morgan Spurlock will be stepping down effective immediately.”

The duo continued, “We will continue to lead the company as equal partners, producing, distributing & creating from our independent production company.”
See full article at The Wrap »

Lisa Bloom Slams The Hill and ‘Far Right Journalist’ John Solomon Over ‘Spurious Article’

Lisa Bloom struck back hard against The Hill and “far right journalist” John Solomon on Friday, after Solomon and Hill reporter Alison Spann dropped a brutal exclusive revealing that Bloom often solicited payments for clients willing to accuse Donald Trump of sexual misconduct. “A far right journalist*, who Washington Monthly called ‘the easiest mark in the business for Gop oppo research hits,’ along with other influencers on the far right, are trying to cast doubt on the very credible accusations of sexual harassment and assault against Donald Trump by creating a hit piece, suggesting that I offered women money to.
See full article at The Wrap »

Steven Spielberg’s ‘The Post’ to Open Palm Springs Film Festival

Steven Spielberg’s ‘The Post’ to Open Palm Springs Film Festival
Steven Spielberg’s “The Post” has been selected as the opening night film for the 29th annual Palm Springs International Film Festival on Jan. 4.

The Post,” starring Tom Hanks as Ben Bradlee and Meryl Streep as Katherine Graham, will receive a limited release from Fox on Dec. 22 and go into wide release on Jan. 12. The National Board of Review has named “The Post” as the best film of 2017 with Hanks and Streep taking the top acting awards.

The Post” centers on the legal battle faced by The Washington Post over publication of the Pentagon Papers, which provided previously undisclosed details over the involvement of the U.S. government in the Vietnam War The cast includes Alison Brie, Carrie Coon, David Cross, Bruce Greenwood, Tracy Letts, Bob Odenkirk, Sarah Paulson, Jesse Plemons, Matthew Rhys, Michael Stuhlbarg, Bradley Whitford and Zach Woods.

The festival will close with “The Last Movie Star,” directed by Adam Rifkin, on Jan. 14. Burt Reynolds
See full article at Variety - Film News »

Bill O’Reilly Says ‘I Told You Guys’ After News That Lisa Bloom Tried to Pay Trump Accusers

Bill O’Reilly claimed vindication Friday after a report from The Hill that revealed attorney Lisa Bloom had solicited wealthy donors and tabloid media to pay women who agreed to come forward to accuse Donald Trump of sexual misconduct. “The lawyer who attacked me with phony charges, Lisa Bloom, now exposed for arranging payments to women,” said Bill O’Reilly. “I told you guys from the very beginning that many allegations were false and politically driven. There is big money behind trying to destroy Mr. Trump, me and others.” Also Read: Bill O'Reilly: Secret Tape Proves Women Were Offered Money to Accuse Trump.
See full article at The Wrap »

‘The Goldfinch’ Movie Adaptation Casts Willa Fitzgerald as Pippa (Exclusive)

Willa Fitzgerald is in negotiations to play Pippa in Warner Bros. and Amazon Studios’ adaptation of “The Goldfinch.”

Ansel Elgort will portray Theo and “Dunkirk” actor Aneurin Barnard is Boris in the film from director John Crowley. Warner Bros. had no comment on the casting.

Based on Donna Tartt’s Pulitzer Prize-winning book, “The Goldfinch” follows a young man named Theodore Decker who survives a terrorist bombing at an art museum — an attack that kills his mother. From there, he tumbles through a series of adventures that finds him living in Las Vegas with his deadbeat father and, later, involved in art forgeries.

In the novel, Pippa is Theo’s true-but-seemingly-unrequited love.

Earlier this year, Amazon Studios agreed to co-finance the film, which will go into production at the beginning of 2018. As part of the pact, Amazon will invest more than a third of the movie’s budget, which is estimated to be in the $40 million range, according
See full article at Variety - Film News »

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Speeds Toward $200 Million-Plus Weekend in the U.S.

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Speeds Toward $200 Million-Plus Weekend in the U.S.
The box office Force is with Disney-Lucasfilm’s “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” which is heading for more than $200 million at 4,232 North American sites in its opening weekend, early estimates showed Friday.

The tentpole opened with $45 million on Thursday night — the second-largest Thursday night preview gross ever in North America, trailing only the $57 million for “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” two years ago. The total for Friday (which includes Thursday night) should wind up in the $95 million to $98 million range, followed by as much as $60 million on Saturday and somewhere around $45 million to $48 million on Sunday.

That would mean “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” will become only the fourth movie to top $200 million domestically in its opening frame, joining 2015’s “The Force Awakens” at $248.8 million, 2015’s “Jurassic World” with $208.8 million, and 2012’s “The Avengers” with $207.4 million. It will finish the weekend far above the “Star Wars” spinoff “Rogue One,” which opened
See full article at Variety - Film News »

Golden Globes 2018: W Magazine’s ‘Best Performances’ Bash, ‘It Girls’ Lunch Return (Exclusive)

The big knock on the Golden Globes is that it’s a frothy celebrity pep rally, fueled by bottomless afternoon champagne. If you ever won a middle school election or higher, you racked up more total votes than the vote threshold needed to win a Globe from the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. However, by distilling the entire film and television industries to just 1,200 of the most essential people in the Beverly Hilton’s ballroom, the HFPA throws one hell of a head-turning party. The same goes for the week of satellite events. James Brolin, Hirshberg, Streisand, and Tonchi (Donato Sardella/Getty Images) Quietly,
See full article at The Wrap »

Palm Springs Film Festival: Steven Spielberg's 'The Post' to Screen on Opening Night

Palm Springs Film Festival: Steven Spielberg's 'The Post' to Screen on Opening Night
Steven Spielberg’s The Post, starring Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks, will screen as the opening night film Jan. 4 at the 29th Palm Springs International Film Festival. Adam Rifkin’s The Last Movie Star, starring Burt Reynolds as the aging title star of the film, will serve as the closing night film on Jan. 14.

The festival itself will run from Jan. 2-15, screening 180 films from 77 countries. The fest will include all the films that are on the current shortlist for the best foreign-language feature Oscar, a special program of films form Argentina, and special presentations of Paul Thomas...
See full article at The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News »

EuropaCorp Posts Half-Year Loss of $83 Million

EuropaCorp Posts Half-Year Loss of $83 Million
Luc Besson’s EuropaCorp (“Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets”) has posted a loss of $83 million (€70.6 million) for the first half of its 2017/2018 financial year. The loss figure is nearly three times higher than it was during the first semester of the last financial year — which culminated in record losses of $135 million.

EuropaCorp primarily blamed the results on the poor theatrical performance of movies it distributed in the U.S., notably “The Circle” and “Their Finest,” as well as the “disappointing Us box-office revenues for ‘Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets,'” said the report.

Directed by Besson with a budget in the $180 million range, “Valerian” tanked in the U.S., grossing only $40.5 million. It went on to gross $225.16 million worldwide. The movie nevertheless yielded strong international sales business that allowed the company to boost its revenues by 77.5% to €138.1 million.

EuropaCorp said it had already reduced its overhead costs by 13% and will be
See full article at Variety - Film News »
loading
An error has occured. Please try again.